There are three different types of epoxy paints that are available in the market; water based epoxy, solvent based epoxy, and solid epoxy. The most popular type of epoxy paint for garage flooring in the market are solvent based epoxy paints and if you are trying to learn how to apply epoxy paint to garage floor, then we would suggest that you opt for this paint. Paint protection film is a transparent, urethane material that can be applied to any exterior painted surface on your vehicle.
Applying Epoxy Paint to Garage Floor
- Solvent epoxy paints have an adhesive quality and it penetrates the garage flooring easily. But while using this type of paint, it is important that you use proper protective gear, as the fumes of the solvents are extremely harmful. It is also important that after you paint the garage, you leave it ventilated, so that there is no build up of fumes in the garage. Now that you know what precautions need to be taken before taking up a project like this, in the next section we tell you, exactly what steps you need to follow to paint the garage floor. In order to apply epoxy paint on a garage flooring, you will need an epoxy paint kit, paint brush, primer, stir stick, metal putty knife, and a pressure washer.
- First and foremost, it is important that you clean the floor completely to remove the dust and dirt completely. Use the pressure washer to do this. You will also need to remove any paint on the flooring. In order to do this you will need to use a metal putty knife so that any peeling paint can be removed.
- Allow the floor to dry after you clean it. Next check the floor for any cracks. In order to get a smooth floor, you will need to patch all the cracks. You can use an epoxy crack filler to do this. Ensure that the surface level is smooth and that you allow it to dry for at least four hours before putting on the primer.
- Before you start applying the paint, you will need apply a primer to the floor. Ensure that you paint in the direction that is along the wood grain and that you smooth out the primer completely. Also ensure that you allow it to dry for two hours before applying the primer.
- Now start applying the epoxy paint. You will first need to mix in the two components of the epoxy paint. Use the stir stick to mix it up completely. Once you are sure that epoxy paint is mixed in completely, you can start the process of applying the paint.
- Before painting the area of the flooring, it may be a good idea to first paint the perimeter of the garage flooring. To ensure that you do not get paint on the walls or the door of the garage, it may be a good idea to use a duct tape to cover it up so that you can get paint till the edges. Once you have painted the sides, you can start painting the rest of the floor. Once you have painted the floor completely, ensure that you do not let anyone enter the garage till you have finished it completely.
- Allow the first coat of paint to dry overnight or at least for 16 hours before applying the second coat. Also it may be a good idea to add a coating additive to the second coat which allows for non-skid flooring.
- Allow the coat to dry for another sixteen hours and you can start parking your cars in the garage after a week. It may be a good idea to apply a coat of floor wax if you want a flooring that can be cleaned easily.
Learning how to apply epoxy paint to garage floor is extremely easy. If you have spilled paint on the walls you can use an epoxy thinner to remove the same. Take note painting your garage flooring is an easy project that can be easily done over the weekend.